Click on the links below to get started! Don’t panic! As well as going to classes there are many useful websites for those with some PC skills. See list below.
- Coustie provides a comprehensive article for beginning uke-sters to master their first 21 chords.
- Ukulele sizes and parts – Description of different sizes of ukulele and named parts. Try out different sizes before you buy.
- Tuning – You must learn how to tune your ukulele before you start! Tuners can be bought from me at the class. An online tuner is available at UkuTuner.com as another option.
- Chord chart – Basic Chord Families
- Basic Strum Patterns – Start with the easy patterns listed first and work your way through to find out your favourites!
- Strumming Practice Keys C, G, D and F – Practice different strum patterns with these simple chord combinations
- Finger Stretching Exercises These exercises will help to build up strength in your fingers. I copied them from Barry Maz at http://www.gotaukulele.com. Start with the basic exercises. Once they become easy move on to the intermediate exercises. The more advanced exercises are worth trying once you have been playing for a while. I still cannot keep up with the stretches Barry can do!
- http://ukulelehunt.com/2010/02/24/beginner-ukulele-lessons/ – Beginner ukulele lessons
- http://ukulelehunt.com/2008/10/22/ukulele-strumming/ – Simple strumming
- http://doctoruke.com/beginners.html – videos of Dr Uke, beginners’ songs (1, 2 & 3 chords), strumming tips, simple songs in keys C, F, G A, more beginners’ songs
- http://ukuleleunderground.com/2010/09/uke-minutes-100-how-to-play-the-ukulele-in-5-minutes/ – how to tune ukulele, how to play C, F, G7 with simple strumming. Links to beginners’ video library and links to song library.
- http://www.justinguitar.com/en/UK-000-UkuleleLessons.php – lessons for beginners